Jeanette Mott Oxford for State Representative 2010

Friday, March 31, 2006

JMO4Rep Update - April 2006

Friends and Supporters -

What an exciting week in the State Capitol! Tuesday was Pro-Choice Lobby Day and Wednesday was PROMO Lobby Day for LGBT Rights. There was also a rally to raise the minimum wage (for which I am a co-sponsor). Thanks to all who came to visit me in Jefferson City this past week!

It also was a very busy week for me:

On Monday I did a press conference with CWA Local 6355/State Workers Union to decry the Department of Social Service's failure to follow current state law regarding caseload standards. We also announced that I would be filing legislation for a new law to require that such standards be set for the Dept. of Mental Health and the Dept. of Health and Senior Services, in addition to DSS. There would also be more transparency about whether we are understaffing those departments. A report would be made to the General Assembly, and staffing levels would be reported on each department's website.

The bill is HB 2073, and I have almost 20 co-sponsors! I will have a town hall meeting with state workers and the community TONIGHT, March 31, to discuss the issue. You are welcome to come at 6:30 p.m. to Epiphany Church, 2911 McNair. For more info, 314-664-0355.

On Tuesday my House Bill 1685 was heard by the Special Committee on Energy and Environment. This legislation would start an affordable energy pilot program to serve low-income consumers. Representatives from the AARP, the community action agencies, food pantries, the office of public counsel, and a teachers union came to speak in favor of the bill. One utility company testified in opposition (what they phrased as "soft opposition"). Please urge members of the committee to support HB 1685.

On Wednesday I filed legislation (HB 2065) to reduce class sizes in St. Louis public schools. Local 420 asked me to sponsor this bill due to discipline problems that have been occuring. Reducing class size is one of the most effective things we can do to help our teachers and our children.

Also on Wednesday, I was successful in offering an amendment to HCS HBs 1030 et al, an omnibus local government bill. My amendment removes the conflict of interest that currently exists on the Metropolitan Taxi Commission (MTC). The amendment is identical to the language of a bill that I filed at the request of numerous cab drivers and other transportation industry employees. HCS HB 1030 et al has now passed the House with my language in place and is headed over to the Senate where I will work with Sen. Bray to keep it there. (Sen. Bray sponsored an identical MTC bill on the Senate side.)

More News:
When I last wrote, I told you that I did not yet have an opponent for the primary or general elections. That is no longer true. By the time filing closed this past Tuesday, I had a Democratic challenger for August and a Libertarian for November. However, I believe I have done a good job for the people of the 59th District and the state, and I expect to be re-elected. If you want to volunteer in my campaign or to donate to my campaign funds, simply reply to this message and I'll tell you how.

Here are some other opportunites I'd like to share with you.

1. Last year the Legislature cut 100,000 Missourians from their health coverage. Collect signatures on the petition to restore the Medicaid program. April 1 is a big signature collection day, and so is Election Day - April 4. To volunteer, call Christine Reynoso, 314-800-3934 (cell), 314-429-1986 (home). She can also set you up with petitions to use at your community of faith, your neighborhood group, etc.

2. The MO Legislative Black Caucus is holding a town hall meeting on eminent domain and the voter identification proposal. That's tomorrow, April 1, at Harris Stowe State University, 3026 Laclede, in the Bank of America Theater, from 10 a.m. -noon and from noon-2 p.m. For more info: 314-524-6647.

3. Next week the MO House is likely to debate HB 1075 which deletes many positive aspects of our current state law about sex education, while inserting the religious dogma of a narrow segment of our society. Rally to stop this attack on religous freedom and effective sex education. Come to Eliot Chapel, 216 E. Argonne, Kirkwood, MO on Saturday, April 1, at 10:30 a.m. Info: 314-531-7526, x 334.

4. CITIZENS RALLY & PRESS CONFERENCE
TO SUPPORT PETER DOWNS & DONNA JONES
(These are the candidates that I have endorsed for St. Louis Board of Education.)
JOIN supporters from 4:00-5:00 P.M. on Monday, April 3rd
In front of the Board of Education building (801 N. 11th Street, St. Louis)
COME SHOW YOUR SUPPORT & WEAR YOUR RED & WHITE!
(For more info Ray Cummings-280-6138/ George Cotton-229-0658)

5. Another signature gathering opportunity - Pro-Vote is offering training on how to collect signatures on a petition to raise the minimum wage. That's tomorrow, April 1, at 9 a.m. at their office, 5585 Pershing Ave., Suite 150 (park in the rear). Call Margarida Jorge at 314-531-2288 to volunteer or write her at moprovote@mindspring.com.

Only six weeks left in this Legislative Session, so I will be going at a constant trot. I may not have time to write again until after May 12 when Session ends, but I welcome your call or e-mail if I can be of assistance in any way.