Jeanette Mott Oxford for State Representative 2010

Friday, August 08, 2008

JMO4Rep Update - My Thanks and Some Thoughts on Tuesday's Election

Friends, Allies and Constituents -

My heartfelt thanks to all who went to the polls on Tuesday. I was grateful to receive a vote of confidence from 1696 voters on August 5 (in my uncontested primary). More importantly, I asked for your support (yard signs, donations, canvassing, etc.) for Robin Wright-Jones in Senate 5, and each action you took mattered and helped produce her victory by 111 votes. (Whew!) I will be meeting with Robin frequently so that we can press forward with a progressive agenda to improve the quality of life in St. Louis City and throughout Missouri.

Outcomes in Other Endorsed Races
Congratulations to the candidates I endorsed who won their primaries - Sam Page (lt. governor), Jim Trout (Senate 15), Jeanne Kirkton (House 91), and Cara Jensen (8th ward committeewoman).

I forgot to mention a final person I endorsed in my most recent e-mail: Judy Baker. Judy has been a wonderful House colleagues these past four years and is one of my best friends in Jefferson City. Judy ran in the Democratic Primary for Congressional District 9 in a four-way race and won with 44.1% of the vote, a very impressive victory. Now she must defeat Blaine Luetkemeyer, the GOP winner, in order to take back a seat from the GOP since Kenny Hulshof, the GOP-pick in the gubernatorial
primary, has held that seat for several years. This race will attract national attention and is a key to increasing the Democratic majority in Congress. Judy is very worthy of your financial support or of your volunteer hours, and I hope you will take time to read about her at: http://judybakerforcongress.com/

Having lost in a close election before (my first try in 2000), my heart goes out to Margaret Donnelly whose appears to have lost my a razor-thin margin in the Democratic race for Attorney General. We all continue to watch developments there to see if any change may be forthcoming. Personally I'm leaving my yardsign up as a way to stand in solidarity with Margaret as we wait for the possible recount process.

I also congratulate Stacey Newman for her hard work in the 73rd House district where she lost 2301 to 1549 to Steve Brown. Stacey and I have worked side by side for justice for many years, and I was proud to endorse her. I have heard many good things about Brown and expect to work with him for positive change, especially on energy issues.

Good News in the Effort to Take Back the House

Democrats performed very well in many districts that the Republicans have held. Of course there are many factors to be considered in primary vote outcomes, but I am encouraged by these results in districts where Democrats hope to pick up a seat (and there are at least 20 that are in play; we need 11 to take back the majority):

In District 1 - GOP incumbent Brian Munzlinger (a champion for CAFO's and for the NRA) received 1929 vs. 3022 votes for his Democratic opponent Keri Cottrell. We can win this one! Keri is a teacher, and we need more teachers in the House. Help Keri by going to: http://www.electkericottrell.com/

In District 24 - GOP incumbent Ed Robb (who I have often locked horns with on various issues, especially tax policy) reeived 3615 votes. His Democratic challenger, Chris Kelly, a judge and former legislator, received 3772. The high turnout in that race was probably impacted by both the Congress 9 race (with two Columbia natives in it for the Dems) and the very competitive GOP gubernatorial primary. This will be a very close race, and I'd appreciate your help for Chris at:
http://www.chriskelly24.com/

In District 85 - GOP incumbent Jim Lembke is vying for Senate 1 against Joan Barry to replace termed-out Sen. Harry Kennedy, so the race will be between Dem primary winner Vicki Lorenz Englund and Republican Cloria Brown. Vicki can win this race. Help her by going to: http://www.politicalgateway.com/cand.php?id=769

In District 122 - GOP incumbent Mike McGhee (who sponsored the redundant religious freedom constitutional amendment, which he framed as "school prayer", as well as legislation to protect the right to fly the Confederate flag) received 1684 votes. His Democratic challenger for November, Beth Grubb, received 2453. Let's keep her on top in November! I hope to have a website address to offer for Beth soon, but for now you can read more about this race at:
http://blog.showmeprogress.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=623
There's also a helpful bio of Beth in the comments section there.

How can you help me and my colleagues in our effort to Take Back the House? Two ways:

1) Volunteer or donate to my campaign. E-mail jmo4rep@juno.com to volunteer.
To donate, mail a check to:
Citizens to Elect Oxford
P. O. Box 19112
St. Louis, MO 63118

2) Make out a check to the Missouri House Democratic Campaign Committee.
I'll accept the checks at my P. O. Box or they may be sent directly to:
MO HDCC
P. O. Box 2235
Jefferson City, MO 65102.

Any checks for the HDCC that I receive by next Tuesday morning, August 12, I will
hand-deliver to Rep. Paul LeVota of Independence, MO, our Caucus chair, who is visiting St. Louis that day. He is traveling throughout the state next week to congratulate our primary winners and to strategize about our Take Back the House Campaign. I'll even come to where you are to pick up a check for the HDCC if that's more convenient for you. Call me at 314-775-8940.

Community Announcements

I was pleased to be one of the speakers at the opening of a new Barack Obama Headquarters at 2715 Cherokee at 5 p.m. on August 7. Several voter registration drives are happening over the next few weeks, including one that Travis Reems is helping with in the 25th Ward this Saturday. (Go Travis and team!) Please help on the 9th or at another time by calling Jack Coatar, 314-324-9539, or e-mailing him at
jcoatar AT mocampaignforchange.org.

The International Institute invites us all to the International Festival at Tower Grove Park on Aug. 23 and 24. Two of the most wonderful things about the 59th House District are our rich ethnic diversity and the good work of the International Institute. Come out and enjoy on Aug. 23 & 24.
See a promotional video at: http://www.youtube.com/IISTL

Got Bail? I will be arrested and locked up on Aug. 27 - but don't panic - it's for a good cause - the Muscular Dystrophy Association. If you'd like to help bail me out, go to:
https://www.joinmda.org/MyLockup/MyHomepage/tabid/17837/Default.aspx

>From Kat Logan Smith at Missouri Coalition for the Environment: Will Godar, a 2008 graduate from St. Louis Priory, is premiering his Senior Thesis, a film about Doe Run entitled "Unleaded" at the Chase Park Plaza Cinemas at Lindell and Kingshighway in St. Louis from 11 a.m. to 12 noon this Saturday, August 9th. The Chase Park Plaza Cinemas are inside the Chase Park Plaza Hotel. The running time is around 35 minutes. Godar will also be showing a "short" film (8 min) that he did in collaboration with ten other young St. Louis filmmakers, in competition with other young filmmakers.

Don't forget the Summer Cool Down event at Five Star Senior Center on Arsenal by Kutis, beginning at 10 a.m. on Aug. 12 and the Back to School Fair at Joint Neighborhood Ministry, 2910 McNair, on Saturday, Aug. 16.

JMO